Armagh2 V Rainey2 Match Report 06-01-2018


Seconds Storm through to Victory in Towns Cup The local seconds entertained Rainey seconds in the Towns cup on Saturday at the Palace grounds on a sunny but very cold day. Upon kick off Rainey regained possession and proceeded to string a few phases together which resulted In an early unconverted try after 5 minutes play. This early setback was replied to in kind by the home side when good play by the forwards set the back line in motion, with Crummie putting Faloon away for him to go around his marker to touch down at the posts. With the conversion by Boyd Armagh followed this up with a back line move on the other side where Paul broke a tackle and had the legs to go all the way to the posts for another try again converted by Boyd. 14-5 to Armagh. With Matthews, Andrew Morton and O’Hagan in the front row and Oliver and Martin in the second, Armagh had a steady secure scrum which allowed Finn and Spratt to deliver quick ball. Rainey conceded a penalty on 28 minutes which Cousins kicked to the corner for a five metre line out. With the ball won, McNeice drove for the line only to be stopped short however O’Hagan was on hand to gather and dive over, 21-5. With the home side maintaining a high tempo game, further tries followed for Misi after another break by Pau and for Faloon after a mid field break by Cousins. With both converted by Boyd, the half time score was 35-5. On the restart Rainey came out of the blocks with much more intent and scored 2 tries one of which was converted to close the gap to 35-17. With the promptings of Captain Willie Martin and coach David Eakin, the side refocused and started to build some phases with the backs looking dangerous again. With play on the far side of the pitch, fast hands moved the ball to the club house side with Misi able to spread the ball out wide to Faloon. Once again he beat his man racing off to touch down at the posts for Cousins to convert. Shortly after, Crummie got a much deserved try in the corner after great team play from backs and forwards to bring the final score to 47-17.

Comments --