Armagh2 v Lurgan Match Report 11-01-2020


Match Report: Towns Cup First Round
Lurgan 1XV vs Armagh 2XV
Following the disappointment of a Junior Cup Final defeat during the week, Armagh 2s had to pick themselves up and look forward to the Towns Cup 1st round against an up-and-coming Lurgan side. Armagh travelled without a several injured key players such as Gareth McNiece, James Morton, Stephen Morton, John Clarke and David Agnew. They did however, welcome back James Hanna and Andy ‘Flump’ Morton from injury.
From the outset it was evident Lurgan weren’t going to make it easy for this Armagh side, winning the early collisions. With Armagh playing into a considerable wind, they were forced to keep the ball in hand. Despite big Jack Treanor and James Hanna carries Armagh struggled to put phases together due to handling errors. For most of the first half Lurgan dominated possession and territory, both missing and turning down kicks at goal in favour of searching for the first 5 points of the match. The young Armagh side held out well. Against the run of play towards the end of the half, full-back Mervyn Brown broke clear to take play into the opposition’s 22. After a couple of quick phases, Aaron Whyte barrelled over from yards out to open the scoring. The extras were added. Half-time 0-7.
Armagh started the 2nd half well, scoring a 2nd try through Jonny Agnew. A good linebreak from Armagh’s lightning outhalf Harry Boyd was well supported by Stuart Lester and finished by Agnew under the sticks. 0-14. Shortly after Armagh were awarded a penalty near the halfway line, shot was called and Boyd cleared the posts. 0-17. Following this Armagh fell asleep at the wheel and failed to close the game out comfortably. Lurgan scored converted tries in quick succession and suddenly Armagh were in danger of an upset at 14-17. Andy Morton was brought on and used his experience to help Armagh close the game out after sustained Lurgan pressure in Armagh’s half. Armagh march into the next round.

Comments 1